The problem was so small that I barely noticed; one of those small imperfections that no one would really see unless specifically pointed out. Exhausted from a long day at the office, I let it go – It was just one little shingle that had some damage, again it was essentially unnoticeable, so I assumed that it would not affect anything. I had a basic knowledge on roof repairs, and I knew that keeping a sound roof was the best way to ensure that leaks didn’t poke through, or that an infestation such as mold doesn’t take over. However I decided to let it go until I believed that it was worth the money and time to fix. As the weeks went by, the quality and appearance of my roof decreased; slow at first, then very rapidly. It became quite the eyesore to the neighborhood, but still I put it off to avoid spending what I assumed would be a few hundred dollars on the repairs, we were planning a vacation and I wanted to save for that. Then, we had a storm. It was a Saturday night and we were having family movie night when it happened. WHOOSH – A flood of water came spilling into our living room, ruining our carpet and allowing the outdoor elements inside my home. I called a repair man the next day and received the news I was hoping to avoid. Because I didn’t have that one little shingle fixed, water was able to seep underneath the others and into the wood that was supposed to shelter my home. I needed an entirely new roof, costing me over $6,000 for a problem that started out as a simple fix – Definitely a hard lesson learned! You see, the entire purpose of a roof is to keep your family and home warm, dry, and safe. Keeping the quality of your roof in check tops the list for the most important home repair, so never ignore a problem when you see it. If you happen to notice a shingle is damaged or missing, it is vital that you repair it immediately to keep water from making its way under the existing shingles and rotting away at the wood. This kind of damage will certainly cause leaks in your roof, and will in the long run call for an entirely new roof. Remember that although spending money on those smaller repairs may seem like an annoyance, you are actually saving thousands!
Replacing your roof can seem like quite the daunting task. It’s not only a nerve-wracking decision financially, but also picking the right contractor, the roof you want, the steps you need to take, and so much more. There is so much importance behind taking all the proper precautions before starting a project of this scale.
Keep our checklist in mind when deciding on a new roof replacement:
1) Get Estimates. Keeping the financial aspect of this project in mind is obviously crucial – Get in touch with roofers from your area and get quotes from each of them. Consider each option and don’t agree with the cheapest option simply to save on money, but really evaluate their quality of work in order to get the most bang for your buck.
2) Schedule a consultation. Not only do you want your roofers to know everything there is to know about your roof, but they may discover that you just need a few repairs instead of a whole new roof. On the flip side, it allows them to evaluate their plan of motion for the project.
3) Evaluate Warranties. You want a quality roof that will last you a lifetime, so make sure to double check on the coverage that comes with your new roof. Unexpected events happen all the time, don’t allow yourself to fall into a situation in which you have to pay for another roof prematurely.
4) Educate Yourself. Read up on the newest tips and trends in the roofing industry; when you have an idea of what you want, the process moves along a lot smoother. Keep in mind the type of climate in which you live in and what kind of protection your roof needs from the elements.
5) Keep up on maintenance. Much like a trip to your doctor’s office, your roof needs routine check ups, especially if you live in an area with a harsher climate. This ensures that your family is protected from the elements and expands the life of your roof.
Now that you’ve made the decision that you need a new roof, or maybe it endured some serious damage that didn’t exactly give you a choice, your top priority should be hiring a professional to do the job for you. Choose a team that cleans up their mess, and one that will not stop until the job is done. Give the pros at All Seasons Roofing a call today for a free consultation on your next roofing project!